Gathering information for solutions

We are concerned with how systems integrate into organizations and how people use systems.
Forum rules
Please be careful about sharing personal information. Never use any identifiable information.
Maj123
Helper!

Gathering information for solutions

Post by Maj123 » 23 Nov 2018, 23:19

Hello,
I was looking over the different techniques of gathering information for viable solutions. I am a little confused as to what the technique "Organizational capabilities" means and how its used to help gather information. Thank you!
1 x

Mr. MacKenty
Site Admin
Answers: 3

Re: Gathering information for solutions

Post by Mr. MacKenty » 25 Nov 2018, 16:28

Maj123 wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 23:19
Hello,
I was looking over the different techniques of gathering information for viable solutions. I am a little confused as to what the technique "Organizational capabilities" means and how its used to help gather information. Thank you!

Hello :-)

Organizational capabilities refers to existing tools, skills, and software in the company. Let's use an example:

Let's say a small business owner wanted an in-store kiosk for her customers to sign up for an email newsletter. After you understood who the stakeholders were, and understood her requirements, you would gather information for viable solutions.

As you are gathering requirements, you notice she has an iPad in her store which is set up to show pictures of some her products. The iPad is connected to the internet, and could easily be used to create a solution.
1 x

Maj123
Helper!

Post by Maj123 » 25 Nov 2018, 22:45

Thank you, that makes sense!
I was also confused by the difference between examining current systems and examining competing products. I wrote:

Examining current systems: This technique refers to looking at and learning from similar systems or solutions that are being implemented in other, for example, businesses.

Examining competing products: This technique refers to looking at and learning from systems or solutions that are an alternative to the current system being designed. This should be done to examine how well the designed system fits the context and requirements of the problem.

I don't know whether these are the correct descriptions.
1 x

Mr. MacKenty
Site Admin
Answers: 3

Post by Mr. MacKenty » 26 Nov 2018, 12:19

Maj123 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 22:45
Thank you, that makes sense!
I was also confused by the difference between examining current systems and examining competing products. I wrote:

Examining current systems: This technique refers to looking at and learning from similar systems or solutions that are being implemented in other, for example, businesses.

Examining competing products: This technique refers to looking at and learning from systems or solutions that are an alternative to the current system being designed. This should be done to examine how well the designed system fits the context and requirements of the problem.

I don't know whether these are the correct descriptions.
Both of these definitions are excellent.
0 x